Selling your home is an exciting but complex journey. One key to ensuring you get top dollar for your property is making strategic home improvements before listing it. These enhancements not only make your home more appealing to potential buyers but can also save you time and money in the long run.
Home Improvements to Make Before Selling
Today we’ll explore the essential home improvements to consider before selling, how they benefit you the property owner, attract more potential homebuyers, and how they can reduce potential liabilities during your home’s sale.
1. Enhancing Curb Appeal: The First Impression
The exterior of your home is the first thing buyers see, and it sets the tone for their entire impression of the property. Investing in curb appeal improvements can:
- Attract More Buyers: A well-maintained exterior draws in potential buyers and can lead to a quicker sale.
- Increase Property Value: First impressions matter; a visually appealing exterior can justify a higher asking price.
- Reduce Negotiation: Buyers are often more willing to pay the asking price or close to it for a well-maintained home.
2. Fresh Paint: A Cost-Effective Upgrade
A fresh coat of paint, both inside and outside your home, can work wonders. Here’s how:
- Brighten and Modernize: Neutral, modern colors make your home look more inviting and up-to-date.
- Camouflage Imperfections: Paint can cover small imperfections, making the home look well-maintained.
- Higher Perceived Value: Buyers often perceive freshly painted homes as more valuable. If you have bold or bright bedroom colors, painting them a soft neutral will instantly make the space “move-in ready.”.
When it comes to wall paint colors, our favorites include Benjamin Moore’s Chantilly Lace, Benjamin Moore Classic Gray, or Sherwin William’s Shoji White. All three are excellent neutrals and will appeal to homebuyers.
3. Give Your Kitchen A Facelift: High ROI
Kitchens are the heart of the home for many potential homebuyers. Spending time or money on this space will give you the biggest bang for your buck in home value. Project updates can include:
- Declutter To Freshen Up: Remove any unused appliances from countertops and set them in a moving box for later. Consider giving your space a clean feeling by painting your walls a bright neutral color. This will instantly make your home feel move-in ready, even if you don’t have time to complete larger home projects later.
If you have more time, consider giving your kitchen cabinets a refresh with a fresh coat of paint.
- Add a Backsplash: Since most kitchen backsplashes are less than 40 square feet, this is an impactful way to Modernize your space with tile.
- Update Fixtures: Change out your current pendant lights.’
- Update Cabinet Hardware: Swap out existing cabinet hardware with black or matte metallic hardware.
4. Minimal Bathroom Updates: Move In Ready Space
An updated bathroom will make your home shine against any competition. You can make some small but impactful updates by:
- Fresh & Clean: Paint your walls a neutral color, consider the ones above. If you have more time, consider giving your cabinets a refresh with a fresh coat of paint.
- Update Fixtures: Swap out current flushmount lights with a new modern but inexpensive design. Update any cabinet hardware with black or matte metallic hardware.
- Competitive Advantage: Homes with updated kitchens and bathrooms tend to sell faster and for more money.
Be on the lookout in both the kitchen and bathroom for opportunities to show off your open spaces. Consider installing open shelving to highlight potential.
5. Flooring Renovations: A Solid Foundation
Quality flooring enhances the overall look and feel of your home:
- Upgrade the Flooring: Replace worn or outdated flooring with modern, durable options.
- Uniform Aesthetic: Consistent flooring throughout the home creates a sense of cohesion.
- Higher Perceived Value: Buyers often equate well-maintained flooring with a well-cared-for home.
Options like Luxury Vinyl Plank Flooring allow you to quickly update your flooring in a variety of looks like wood, stone, or marble. All are excellent ideas for updating and showing off your home for optimal value.
6. Energy-Efficient Improvements: Savings and Appeal
Energy-efficient upgrades not only make your home more appealing but can also save you money:
- Lower Utility Bills: Energy-efficient windows, insulation, and appliances can reduce utility costs.
- Appeal to Eco-Conscious Buyers: Many buyers are looking for homes that are kind to the environment.
- Potential Tax Benefits: Some energy-efficient improvements may qualify for tax credits or deductions.
7. Pre-Listing Inspection: Identifying Hidden Issues
Walk through your home as though you are doing a pre-listing inspection. Doing so would give you time to:
- Detect Hidden Problems: Uncovering issues in advance allows you to address them on your terms and budget.
- Boost Buyer Confidence: Disclosing a recent inspection report can give buyers confidence in the property’s condition (if you hire a licensed home inspector now rather than later).
- Reduce Liability: A thorough inspection can help protect against future legal disputes (if you hire a licensed home inspector now rather than later).
Get prepared for your home inspection with this DIY checklist. Fix any potential buyer concern updates now so that they don’t cause you a headache in negotiations later.
7. Professional Staging: Showcasing the Potential
Once your home is looking updated, be sure to not skip the very last step: Staging it for sale! Professional staging is an investment that can:
- Highlight Your Home’s Potential: Staging helps buyers envision living in your space.
- Increase Offers: Staged homes often receive higher offers and sell faster.
- Online Appeal: Staged homes look more appealing in online listings, attracting more potential buyers.
Ready to make home improvements before selling? Our insured handyman service, with a solid track record since 2020, is here to bring your vision to life. From repairs to renovations, we’ve got you covered. Contact us now for a free estimate, and let’s start building the home you’ve always dreamed of. Your satisfaction is our guarantee.